Major League Baseball Asks for Its $5,000 Campaign Donation Back From Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith

When lobbyists for Major League Baseball made a donation in connection with a political event on Friday, they probably didn’t expect to ask for it back two days later.

Amid outcry over racially insensitive remarks made by Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith earlier this month, the MLB has asked her campaign to return its $ 5,000 donation.

On a Nov. 2 campaign stop, Sen. Hyde-Smith was captured in a viral video making remarks about attending a “public hanging.”

“If he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be in the front row,” Sen. Hyde-Smith said, referring to a supporter. Her opponent in Tuesday’s run-off election, former Democratic Representative Mike Espy, is an African-American.

Hyde-Smith subsequently gave a partial apology during a Nov. 20 debate against Espy.

“For anyone that was offended by my comments, I certainly apologize,” she said. “There was no ill will, no intent whatsoever in my statements.”

She then noted “this comment was twisted and it was turned into a weapon to be used against me.”

The MLB made its contribution to her campaign weeks after the senator made those comments.

“The contribution was made in connection with an event that MLB lobbyists were asked to attend,” the league said in a statement issued Sunday, reported the Daily Beast. “MLB has requested that the contribution be returned.”

Several companies, including Walmart, have recently asked her campaign to return donations following the comment, reported USA Today.

It’s not the first controversy that Hyde-Smith has caused.

In 2014, she posted a picture on her Facebook page showing her posing at the Jefferson Davis homestead holding a rifle and wearing a Confederate hat, reported the Washington Post.

“Mississippi history at its best!” she wrote.

Hyde-Smith has also been caught on video making jokes about voter suppression.

 

Sports – TIME

ENTERTAINMENT DEAL UPDATE:

Tesla’s home solar system price cut can save you up to $5,000

Tesla just lowered the price on its solar shingles and other whole house solar components by up to 25% in an effort to boost sales of its under-performing home solar system.

RELATED: Free electricity: Yes, it’s for real and here’s how you could get it!

Tesla’s move will save homeowners between $ 3,000 and $ 5,000

Tesla has confirmed to Reuters that it’s now slashing installation costs on its home solar systems after sales of the systems have trailed off.

A company executive told the news agency that any residential customer getting a quote after November 15, 2018 will realize an average savings of between $ 3,000 and $ 5,000 on material and installations costs versus prior quotes.

Tesla has struggled with its solar installation business since its 2016 acquisition of Solar City, which was then the largest residential solar installer in the country.

A year later, Tesla began accepting orders for its solar roofing shingles, which look like this:

Textured
Smooth
Tuscan
Slate

But despite a lot of buzz around the shingles and Tesla’s residential solar initiative, it didn’t get off the ground in quite the way the company had hoped.

Installations have fallen from 200 megawatts (MW) a quarter in early 2016 when Solar City was at its peak to less than half of that — just 93 MW — in the third quarter 2018, according to Reuters.

Adding to the woes is the fact that Tesla tinkered extensively with Solar City’s successful sales model, which relied heavily on door-to-door canvassing in solar-friendly states, among other proven approaches.

Meanwhile, Tesla also terminated a retail relationship with Home Depot in 2017. That means the all-electric automaker could no longer demo its whole house solar approach at some 800 stores across the country.

Tesla executives now hope a lower price on its solar systems will bring in more customers.

You can request your new, lower quote here.

More real estate stories on Clark.com

clark.com

BEST DEAL UPDATE:

Back To School Sale – Get up to 40% OFF stylish footwear at Payless.com

Over 5,000 British Women Accused of Lying About Defunct Breast Implants

German company TUV Rheinland filed an appeal to receive money back from more than 5,000 British women who sued the company for failing to test the safety of breast implants made by French manufacturer, Poly Implant Prothèse. The women were given defunct implants, and in some cases, they ruptured and had to be removed.
Allure

BEST DEAL UPDATE: