Chicago Judge Allows Jussie Smollett To Travel To Meet With Attorneys

CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago judge says “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett can travel out-of-state to meet his lawyers while he’s free on bond on charges he falsely reported being attacked by two masked men.

Anne Kavanagh is a spokeswoman for Smollett’s attorneys, who say he’s innocent.

Kavanagh says attorney Mark Geragos, who’s based in Los Angeles, is Smollett’s lead attorney. She says a defense lawyer asked Monday that Smollett be allowed to travel to California and New York for meetings with his legal team.

Chicago police charged Smollett with disorderly conduct. Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson says Smollett, who is black and gay, staged a racist and homophobic attack , then told police his attackers yelled racial and anti-gay slurs and referenced President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan.

He was released last week after posting $ 10,000 cash. He was ordered to surrender his passport.

PHOTO: AP


HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

Entertainment – Black America Web

BEST DEAL UPDATE:

[Updated] Chicago Police Say New Evidence Suggests Jussie Smollett Paid Two Men to Orchestrate His Assault + Jussie’s Attorneys Release a Statement

Chicago Police believe Jussie Smollett paid two men, brothers Abimbola “Abel” and Olabinjo “Ola” Osundair to orchestrate the assault he initially said was a racist, homophobic attack.

via CNN:

Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation told CNN that Chicago Police believe Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate the assault.

The brothers, who were arrested Wednesday, were released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of “new evidence.” The sources told CNN that the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.

Smollett told authorities he was attacked early January 29 by two men who were “yelling out racial and homophobic slurs.” He said one attacker put a rope around his neck and poured an unknown chemical substance on him.

The sources told CNN that there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett’s neck at an Ace Hardware store in Chicago.

Smollett gave his first detailed account of what he says was a hate crime against him, and the aftermath, in an interview with “Good Morning America” that aired Thursday. During the interview he expressed frustration at not being believed.

“It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more,” Smollett said. “And that says a lot about the place where we are as a country right now.”

CNN’s attempts to reach both Smollett’s representative and attorney Saturday were unsuccessful.

Wow. Story developing…

Update: TMZ spoke to law enforcement sources of their own. One law enforcement source tells TMZ at least one of the brothers turned over his phone and there is a call between him and Jussie in the vicinity of the “attack,” but before it happened.

Update #2: Jussie’s attorneys has released a statement denying all claims he orchestrated his own attack.

The post [Updated] Chicago Police Say New Evidence Suggests Jussie Smollett Paid Two Men to Orchestrate His Assault + Jussie’s Attorneys Release a Statement appeared first on lovebscott – celebrity news.

lovebscott – celebrity news

BEST DEAL UPDATE: