FIFA Is Backing a Social Media Boycott By U.K. Soccer Players Protesting Against Racism

(MANCHESTER, England) — FIFA is backing a 24-hour social media boycott by professional players in England in a protest against racial abuse and revealed plans for a new global campaign to eradicate discrimination in soccer.

Following a series of high-profile cases in recent weeks, the Professional Footballers’ Association has gathered support from Premier League stars to stay off Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from 9 a.m. Friday (0800 GMT) until 9 a.m. Saturday as they push for a crackdown on racist messages.

“Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse,” England and Tottenham defender Danny Rose said on Thursday.

FIFA said that it was listening to the concerns of players and supporting their decision to put pressure on social media companies to take stronger action against racism by not posting for a day.

“We applaud the initiative of the English professional football players,” FIFA said in a statement to The Associated Press. “FIFA is fully engaged in combating racism and any form of discrimination not only in football but society in general.”

FIFA is preparing to write to all 211 member associations and the six confederations encouraging them to adopt a three-step procedure which allows a referee to stop play, suspend a game and ultimately abandon the fixture if discriminatory abuse persists.

FIFA was criticized in 2016 for dismantling its anti-racism task force after saying its mission had been completed.

Now the Zurich-based governing body says it is “preparing a concrete action with worldwide impact that will launch a powerful campaign against discrimination.”

After being targeted with monkey noises while playing for England in Montenegro in a European Championship qualifier last month, Rose said he couldn’t wait for his career to end to escape racism in football.

“Football has a problem with racism,” Rose said. “I don’t want any future players to go through what I’ve been through in my career.”

Unlike Rose, Manchester United defender Chris Smalling does have public accounts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

“Throughout my career I have developed a thick skin against verbal abuse, justifying it as just ‘part of the game’ but the time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels, taking responsibility for protecting the mental health of users regardless of age, race, sex or income,” Smalling said.

“I understand that I am in an extremely privileged position and I am deeply thankful for that but, at the end of the day, we are all human.”

Earlier this week, Manchester United condemned abuse directed at Ashley Young online following the club’s Champions League exit at Barcelona.

Watford captain Troy Deeney was also targeted with racial insults on Instagram earlier this month after scoring in an FA Cup semifinal win over Wolverhampton.

“My teammates and I have been on the receiving end of well documented abuse from a minority of narrow-minded, ignorant people both on social media and on the pitch,” Deeney said. “Any racism in football is too much, and it’s essential that we fight it wherever and whenever we see it.

“On Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players — or anyone else — whether from the crowd or online, that we won’t tolerate it within football. The boycott is just one small step, but the players are speaking out with one voice against racism — enough is enough.”

The PFA has distributed a red graphic featuring the words “Enough. Make a stand against racism.”

“While there has been progress in the battle against racism within football, there are still far too many instances of players being abused,” said Leicester captain Wes Morgan, who won the Premier League in 2016. “I’ve heard it in the stands and I’ve seen it online. We all have. That’s why, as players, we are coming together on Friday to say that more must now be done to eradicate racism from our game.”

Twitter said earlier this week that it uses “proprietary-built internal technology to proactively find abusive content” but anti-discrimination organization Kick It Out asked for more serious action.

“Football is more popular than it has ever been, but we have a discontented generation of players who won’t stand for racist abuse any longer. Enough is enough,” Arsenal and England women’s team forward Danielle Carter said. “We want to see social media companies take proper responsibility for racist abuse on their platforms and we want them to find solutions.”

Sports – TIME

ENTERTAINMENT DEAL UPDATE:

FIFA Will Publicize Its Vote on the 2023 Women’s World Cup Host

(MIAMI) — FIFA has agreed to make public its vote on the host for the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

The organization’s decision-making body is becoming more transparent after concerns were raised last month that the women’s tournament wouldn’t fully follow the new voting process for the men’s World Cup.

The United States, Canada and Mexico were chosen last year to host the 2026 World Cup. The votes by the FIFA Congress of all member associations were published. Previously, the decisions were taken in private by the scandal-discredited FIFA executive committee, which was renamed the FIFA Council in 2016.

But FIFA announced last month that its 37-person council would still decide on the destination of the 2023 Women’s World Cup, with no mention of votes being publicly declared.

Now, FIFA has said following a meeting in Miami that after the council makes its decision in March 2020, the “result of each ballot and related votes of each member” will be “open and made public.”

It could be the most hotly contested bidding process for the tournament, which was first staged in 1991. Australia, Colombia, Japan and South Africa have been exploring bids. South Korea submitted a proposal to North Korea to jointly bid.

FIFA asked countries interested in bidding to do so by Friday, but it has yet to disclose who made submissions. Bidders have until April 16 to complete their bidding registrations, and bid books must be submitted by Oct. 4.

Sports – TIME

ENTERTAINMENT DEAL UPDATE:

FIFA studying potential for 2022 World Cup to be expanded to 48 teams: Infantino

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said soccer’s global governing body was studying whether it was possible for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 to be expanded to 48 teams.


Reuters: Sports News

FOOTLOCKER SPECIAL DISCOUNT UPDATE:

Check out the Sales Outlet with prices starting as low as $ 19.99!

‘FIFA 19’: Watch Two Champions Go Head-to-Head for Ultimate Bragging Rights

Former Smosh Games streamer Lasercorn is a champion-level gamer who entertains hundreds of thousands of fans on his YouTube channel. Cyrus “Glitch” Spencer leveraged a star-making turn on So You Think You Can Dance into a professional dance career. Now these two champions in their respective fields are going head-to-head in FIFA 19 to determine who’s the ultimate champion on the pitch.

They’re trying out one of the new Kick Off modes, Survival, which removes a player from a team whenever that team scores a goal. Watch the video above to see who comes out on top!

Champions Rise

Lasercorn and Cyrus also took time to chat about their origin stories — how they got started doing what they love and how they rose to the tops of the games. Watch the video above to find out.

Anatomy of a Champion

Once you make it to the top of your field, how do you stay on top? Lasercorn and Cyrus break down their current day-to-day routines to find out how to stay a champion-caliber performer. Watch the video above for details.

The post ‘FIFA 19’: Watch Two Champions Go Head-to-Head for Ultimate Bragging Rights appeared first on FANDOM.

FANDOM

ENTERTAINMENT DEAL UPDATE:

FIFA warns of World Cup ban for players in breakaway ‘Super’ league

ZURICH — Soccer’s biggest names would be banned from the World Cup if they played in a breakaway European Super League, FIFA President Gianni Infantino said Wednesday.

Infantino, speaking to a small group of reporters at FIFA headquarters, said the governing body would punish players at clubs like…

Sports – New York Daily News

GOLF SPECIAL DEAL UPDATE: