So here’s a topic that is not going to be for everyone (I totally get it if you want to skip this post!), but something that I’m always interested to read about are the best alternative products for your period. Over the lifetime of this blog, you guys have heard a LOT about my life and my thoughts on various products and tips for optimizing your life — but hearing about me and Aunt Flo may be too far even for me, so this post is mostly going to be referring you to threadjacks where the readers discuss the various products. I will note that I’ve tried a variety of products (I’ve had my Dear Kates for the longest) and for my lifestyle they work really well. I like them from an environmental perspective, I’m not grossed out by them from a wearing or cleaning perspective, and they’ve held up well even after three years of use. I particularly want to recommend alternative period products like reusable pads and period underwear when I hear people talking about situations where they are waiting for a period for a long time, either because they don’t know if/when a period is coming because they’re trying to conceive, they’re several months postpartum, suffering from missed periods due to PCOS or another medical reason — or even if they’re just entering perimenopause or otherwise finding that periods may not be as reliably timed as they were in the past.
SO: we’ve rounded up some of the most noteworthy reader threadjacks on this topic — and I’d love to open this post up to more discussion! Readers, have you tried alternative products for your period like DivaCup, Thinx, DearKates, or more? What have been your experiences with them — do you still use them — and who would you recommend them for?
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
DivaCup: Good & Bad Experiences
Positive DivaCup Reviews:
- The DivaCup is a life-changer.
- I started using the DivaCup on a very swimming-heavy weekend!
- I highly, highly recommend the DivaCup.
- I use the DivaCup. They are good for 10 years.
- I just finished my second month with a DivaCup, and I love it.
- I will encourage my daughter to use a DivaCup because they are they amazing!
- I totally love the DivaCup and would never, ever go back to tampons.
- I have slightly heavier periods, but with a DivaCup it doesn’t really matter. It’s perfect.
- I’ve had two IUDs over 10 years and used a DivaCup that entire time.
Less Positive DivaCup Reviews:
- I never got the hang of the DivaCup and always had some days where a seal hadn’t formed.
- If tampons don’t work for you, a DivaCup may not either.
- I used to be a DivaCup fan, but our public-ish restrooms and the discomfort make it unappealing.
- I am pretty sure the possibility for negative IUD interactions was mentioned on the warning materials.
Period Panties: Thinx vs. Dear Kate
- I love Thinx, but they are a lot thicker than even cotton underwear.
- Has anyone tried Thinx? Do they work?
- I have Thinx, and I love them.
- I really like my Dear Kates. I have three pairs.
- They really worked and were wonderful with wicking moisture away.
- Dear Kates are awesome, and so comfy and cute.
- I discovered Dear Kate and Vv Skivvys a couple years ago and wish I’d known about them sooner.
- Anyone tried those cool new period panties?
- Mini-review from Kat: I’ve had a few pairs of Dear Kates for several years now and like them; I only use them a few days a month but they’ve held up really well. They’re the most comfortable and elegant solution I’ve tried, much more so than the reusable liners I’ve tried (I find the snaps a bit uncomfortable on both sets, and this liner was crazy thick). I’ve only tried one other brand of period panties (the Innersy brand, bought on a flash sale) and vastly prefer the Dear Kates — the other product feels a bit stiff and crinkly, and I do not like the light gray lining. From a laundering perspective I rinse them before I throw them in the wash, and air dry them — air drying them in sunlight is supposed to be best if possible. Sometimes I spray them with vinegar after rinsing them (before throwing them in the washer) but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Using Period Panties as a Backup for a DivaCup
- I LOVE my DivaCup and have heard great things about pairing it with Thinx.
- I switched to a DivaCup and period underwear for backup and have never been happier.
- I know that so many women like the combo of the special underwear with the DivaCup.
- I use Dear Kates with a DivaCup — no leaks and no mess.
- I use Thinx in combination with tampons because I find they’re not reliable enough.
Readers, do tell: what do you think are the best alternative products for your period? Have you used period panties and/or a menstrual cup during your period? What have you found to be the best brands or products? Which ones haven’t worked well for you?
The post The Best Alternative Products for Your Period: DivaCup, Thinx, DearKates and More! appeared first on Corporette.com.
BEST DEAL UPDATE: