The First Woman Soccer Player of the Year Was Asked to Twerk on Stage After Receiving Her Award

One of the most prestigious soccer awards ceremonies in the world sparked outrage Monday night when the first-ever women’s soccer player of the year was asked to twerk on stage by a male presenter.

Norwegian striker Ada Hegerberg, 23, had just accepted her trophy when the presenter, Martin Solveig, a DJ and producer, asked her in French if “she could twerk”. Visibly irritated, Hegerberg declined. With an abrupt “no,” she turned and left.

Hegerberg had just been crowned the first ever recipient of the Women’s Ballon D’or – an annual soccer award that until this year only recognized the best male player in the world. Hegerberg was the leading scorer with 15 goals as her team, Lyon, won the Champions League for the third year in a row.

France Football has awarded the Ballon d’Or to a male player every year since 1956, but this is the first year there has been a women’s award.

Before Solveig’s intervention, Hegerberg thanked all who had helped her to the achievement.

“I want to say thanks to my team-mates because this would not have been possible without them, my coach or our president Jean-Michel Aulas,” Hegerberg said.

“I also want to thank France Football. This is a huge step for women’s football.”

But what should have been a celebratory and historic evening quickly descended into awkwardness and uncomfortable silence. Soccer, like many sports, has a problem with sexism. Solveig’s comments were met with stunned silence in the audience. The ceremony, which took place in Paris, appeared to be cut short after the incident.

In a video posted to Twitter shortly after, Solveig said “he [hadn’t] wanted to offend anyone,” and that the question, intended as a joke, had been misconstrued.

In an interview with the BBC later on Monday, Hegerberg sought to play down the moment.

“He came to me afterwards and was really sad that it went that way. I didn’t really think about it at the time to be honest. I didn’t really consider it a sexual harassment or anything in the moment.

“I was just happy to do the dance and win the Ballon d’Or to be honest. I will have a glass of champagne when I get back,” she said.

On the same night, Luka Modric, who lead Croatia to their first ever World Cup Final and won an unprecedented third Champions League trophy with Spanish club Real Madrid, was named the world’s best male player. Cristiano Ronaldo, who has won the Ballon D’or five times – a record he shares with Barcelona striker Lionel Messi – placed a distant 5th.

It was the first time in ten years that neither player has won the award.

Sports – TIME

ENTERTAINMENT DEAL UPDATE:

NBA Player Terry Rozier Sued By Costume Company for Making Money Off ‘Scream’ Ghost Face Mask

(Terry Rozier Instagram)

Boston Celtics player Terry Rozier allegedly made a pretty large amount of cash from selling his own merchandise using the iconic mask from the movie, Scream.

But the creators of the mask believe they got ripped off, and now they reportedly want their cut. Rozier, who goes by the nickname, “Scary Terry,” has been selling shirts and sweatshirts featuring his slogan combined with the infamous mask from the 1996 thriller.

The Blast reports, Fun World costume company claims they are the original designer of the “Ghost Face Mask,” and officially licensed it for use in the slasher film and other movies.

The company reportedly says the Celtics player is using their design and copyright without permission, claiming he has, “adopted the Ghost Face Mask design as his own mascot and paired the design with his alter ego “Scary Terry,” The Blast reports.

Fun World accuses Rozier of ripping off their work and making a profit, and are reportedly suing for unspecified damages plus $ 150,000 per infringement.

[ione_media_gallery id=”2982″ overlay=”true”]

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

Entertainment – Black America Web

BEST DEAL UPDATE:

Former NFL Player Rae Carruth Released From Prison 18-Years After Having His Pregnant Girlfriend Killed [Video]

Former NFL player Rae Carruth has been released from prison after serving 18 years for the slaying of his pregnant girlfriend.

via NYDN:

The former first-round draft pick was released from Sampson Correctional Institution in North Carolina early Monday.

“I’m excited about just being out of here,” he told WSOC by phone a few days before his release. “I’m nervous just about how I’ll be received by the public. I still have to work. I still have to live. I have to exist out there and it just seems like there is so much hate and negativity toward me.”

Carruth had completed his sentence of 18 to 24 years. He did not speak to reporters as he left the prison on a chilly morning.

Now 44, Carruth was found guilty of orchestrating a plot to kill Cherica Adams to avoid paying child support. Adams was shot four times on Nov. 16, 1999 while driving her car in Charlotte, but managed to make a 911 call that pointed the finger at the NFL player.

Adams, eight months pregnant, died less than a month after the shooting. The child she was carrying was delivered, but suffers from permanent brain damage and cerebral palsy.

Carruth has said he wants to have a relationship with son Chancellor, who remains in the custody of his grandmother. Saundra Adams had said she would be there when Carruth got out of prison, but she was not present on Monday.

The former wide receiver was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in 1997. Panthers center Frank Garcia said players were stunned when they heard the news of about his possible involvement in the murder.

“It would be like finding out the guy sitting in the cubicle next to you at work was arrested for murder,” Garcia said. “You just don’t always know people as well as you think you do.”

Some players testified at the trial, and others would spend time in the players’ lounge watching it on Court TV.

“That is one time where you were actually hiding from the cameras,” Garcia said. “You just wanted to stay low and not be involved. All along you’re asking yourself, ‘Did I miss any signs? How is somebody capable of this?’”

Carruth worked as a barber while behind bars, making about $ 1 per hour, according to North Carolina Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins. He had signed a $ 3.7 million contract with the Panthers after being drafted.

The post Former NFL Player Rae Carruth Released From Prison 18-Years After Having His Pregnant Girlfriend Killed [Video] appeared first on lovebscott – celebrity news.

lovebscott – celebrity news

BEST DEAL UPDATE: