posted in Products
Sometimes when you spend more for a piece of baby gear, you get something nicer — better-quality fabric, more comfortable padding, gee-whiz features. But sometimes, you’re just spending more than you need to.
These 17 baby products are rock-bottom cheap. But they have everything you need.
1. Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Duck Tub: It’s soft-and-squishy inflatable, so your baby can thrash around without hurting himself. It drains quickly, suction-cups to the side of the shower to dry, then stores easily under the kitchen cabinet when not in use. And just look at it! Who wouldn’t take a million pictures of their baby in this tub? Note that the Duck Tub is suitable for babies who can sit up unassisted — 6 months or so. Buy it: $ 10.87
2. Safety 1st Smooth Ride Travel System: Travel systems can easily cost hundreds, even thousands, of dollars, which is why this bargain-priced set is such a happy surprise. Available in sophisticated colors like lavender (Safety 1st calls it “Wisteria Lane,”) moss green, gray, and robin’s egg blue, the Smooth Ride looks and works great, rating very highly with users. The included onBoard 35 LT is light and easy to use — and bonus, it’s so narrow at 17 inches that it’s one of our 47 car seats that fit 3-across in most vehicles. Buy it: $ 161.99
3. Summer Infant My Size Potty: This little guy is so cute that we serve candy in ours at BabyCenter HQ Halloween parties. Kids love sitting on the miniature toilet; they love “flushing” after using it even more, so much so that they may be more eager to potty train. And the My Size is easy to empty and clean, too. Buy it: $ 24.86
4. Cosco Scenera NEXT Convertible Car Seat: This cute seat is so inexpensive and lightweight — 7.5 pounds! — that parents get confused. Can it be safe? Yes! All car seats for sale in the U.S. have passed the same safety tests. The only downside of the Scenera NEXT: its forward-facing weight maximum tops out at 40 pounds, low considering the industry standard of 65 pounds. But if you need a knockaround seat for travel, a second car, or car pools, the NEXT is a goody at a good price. The rear-facing weight/height limits (40 pounds, 40 inches) are good, and it’s narrow enough to be one of 47 car seats that fit 3-across in most vehicles, so it’s a good choice for carpools, too. Buy it: $ 46.45
5. Infantino Sash Wrap and Tie Baby Carrier: Also known as the Infantino Mei Tai, this simple, inexpensive carrier works far better than you’d expect for the low price. Its straps are wide and padded; the fabric tails you tie around your waist are long enough to fit a wide variety of bodies (including plus-sized men and women), and it comes with a detachable hood to cover your sleeping baby’s head. It works particularly well for smaller babies, who snuggle close and comfy. Buy it: $ 28.98
6. Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Portable Bassinet: Bassinets can be extraordinarily expensive — from hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on how Rosemary’s Baby or Downton Abbey you want to go. This inexpensive little bassinet has a lie-flat surface and is safe for overnight sleeping. You can easily switch between stationary and rocking mode (you have to push it to rock), and pull it up next to your bed to follow SIDS recommendations for room-sharing with the baby in their own separate sleep space. Buy it: $ 59.41
7. PRIMO EuroBath: This tub has been a parent favorite for many years, because it’s made of high quality plastic, comes in punchy pink and blue as well as white, and the seating bumps and nubs are both comfortable and thoughtful. Many parents say they can bathe a newborn followed by a toddler in the tub, and both are happy and comfy. If you have a bad back or a c-section, you can buy the PRIMO Folding Bath Stand for an extra $ 55 to use the tub at waist height. That’s the way they do it in Europe — hence the bath’s name. Buy it: $ 19.99
8. Safety 1st Crystal Clear Audio Monitor: There’s a certain type of parent who wants to have the most sensitive video monitor so they can sit and watch their baby’s eyelids flutter and chest rise and fall. And there’s another kind of parent that just wants to have a simple audio monitor that’s easy to use and works so you can hear if the baby’s crying while you’re down in the basement or out in the garage. This is that monitor. Buy it: $ 23.49
9. Fisher-Price FastFinder Deluxe Messenger Diaper Bag: Simple and sleek, this looks like a laptop bag, so no one has to feel embarrassed carrying it around. It has pockets for everything you need, and Fisher-Price’s FastFinder “pocket system” makes your gear easier to find — every pocket has a red label that makes the pocket easier to see and find, and big silver zip-pulls that are easy to grab even when you have a squirming baby in one hand. Buy it: $ 28.40
10. Skip Hop Tuo Convertible High Chair: Skip Hop is well known for giving parents high style at affordable prices. With beechwood legs, a detachable tray and harness, and a sophisticated color scheme, the Tuo looks like chairs that cost $ 500 or more. It also lasts and lasts — it converts into a toddler, then a preschooler chair, holding children up to 60 pounds and/or 5 years. Buy it: $ 127.99
11. Safety 1st Guide 65: Parents love this seat because of its very good rear-facing height/weight limits (it holds riders rear-facing from 5 to 40 pounds and 40 inches), and “big & tall” front-facing height/weight limits (65 pounds and 52 inches), an unusually generous spread for a bargain-priced seat. On top of that, it’s narrow at 18 inches, giving it a shot of fitting 3-across in some vehicles. It’s comfy, too. Buy it: $ 72.64
12. Summer Infant Deluxe Comfort Folding Booster Seat: It straps to any dining room or kitchen chair. It’s super-easy to clean, it’s comfortable for babies and toddlers, and when you’re done with it, it can fold down to a little square that’s easy to put in a closet for storage, or bring along on trips to Grandma’s. Buy it: $ 15.99
13. Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard: If you’ve tried to set up other portable playards, with infuriating sides that won’t lock and then, once locked, won’t unlock, the Pop ‘N Play is going to be a great surprise for you. It comes in a bag about twice the size of a yoga bag, and it’s all in a piece. You unfold it something like an umbrella stroller…it takes two seconds. And bam, your baby is contained. If you’re worried about sun, you can drape a blanket over the top, or buy a snap-on canopy that covers half the yard for $ 23.74, or a cover for the entire yard for $ 39.99. Buy it: $ 54.84
14. Cosco 3D Umbrella Stroller: Sometimes you need a stroller that’s tiny and light — something you can bring along in the car in case you might need it during an outing, or bring on a bus. But so many cheapie umbrella strollers fall apart instantly, or are so low to the ground you have to stoop uncomfortably to push them. The Cosco 3D is tougher than you’d expect, has extra-long handles so all but the tallest parents can push with ease, and it’s cute. Pick from an orange lion, blue hippo, pink owl, or black-and-white and pink zebra. You can also find the 3D stroller in whale, bee, and monster patterns. Buy it: $ 32.36
15. Infantino Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier: Many structured baby carriers cost $ 100-$ 200 and can hold babies from infancy to toddlerhood to preschool age and beyond. But sometimes all that muscle is overkill, and these carriers tend to be heavy and hard to bring on outings “just in case” or to carry when your big baby has decided to get out and walk. The Flip is small and exceptionally lightweight, easy to roll up and bring along in a stroller basket or diaper bag. You can use it to carry your baby front facing-in, front facing-out, and on your back, and it’s perfect if your baby is younger, smaller, or if you’re going on shorter walks. Buy it: $ 22.49
16. Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day and Night Play Yard: Parents who like to room-share and travel with their babies often shell out for heavy, bulky travel cribs that really aren’t very portable at all — and they cost from $ 100 to $ 200 and up, way up. The Ultra-Lite is easy to set up, easy to break down, easy to use as a play yard or as a sleeping space, and it weighs in at a mere 11.5 pounds — compare that to play yards that weigh 20 pounds or more — which makes it truly portable. Buy it: $ 73.87
17. Evenflo SureRide DLX: Many sub-$ 100 convertible seats tend to have meager weight/height limits. But the SureRide packs a lot of utility into its small frame (at 18.5 inches wide it’s one of our 47 car seats that fit 3-across in most vehicles; and it’s just 10.5 pounds so it’s great for travel). It holds riders rear-facing to 40 pounds and 40 inches, and forward-facing to 65 pounds and 54 inches, which should hold all but the lankiest of kids safely until they’re out of the harness years. In fact, we also named this seat as one of 15 great convertible car seats for tall babies and big toddlers. Buy it: $ 89.99
CHILDREN APPAREL DEALS:
Underwear for Boys: 20% OFF with the Purchase of 3 Items at Souris Mini!
CHILDREN APPAREL DEAL:
Underwear for Girls: 20% OFF with the Purchase of 3 Items at Souris Mini!