When NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft zoomed by the twin space rocks known collectively as Ultima Thule earlier this year, the images it sent back seemed to show a “space snowman” in all its glory. The photos showed two round lumps of rock attached by a thick “belt” in a shape known as a contact binary.
Photos don’t lie but they can’t be a bit misleading, even in space. Now, astronomers have been thrown for a loop when New Horizons’ final series of images of Ultima Thule reveal that the twin rocks aren’t actually round. Yep, Ultima Thule is more of a space pancake than a snowman.
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon has 4 different Instant Pot deals you need to check out today
- Today’s best deals: Best Instant Pot deal of 2019, $ 50 noise cancelling headphones, $ 100 off iPad, more
Trending Right Now:
- The Pixel 4 is several months away, but one new feature has already been confirmed
- Samuel L. Jackson just leaked a big spoiler for ‘Captain Marvel’ and ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- Everything new coming to Netflix this week, and everything leaving (week of Feb. 10)
New Horizons beams back a new revelation about Ultima Thule originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 13:56:16 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
BEST DEAL UPDATE: